Services

Hazardous Materials

NAPP has extensive experience dealing with a variety fo hazardous materials and substances. Our staff is experienced with the safe handling, removal and disposal of a wide variety of hazardous materials. By using the lastest industry techniques and equipment, the NAPP team will be able to meet all of your hazardous material needs from start to finish.

Mercury is a heavy, dense metal that is liquid at room temperature. It is used in a variety of electrical devices, such as thermometers, switches, medical equipment and light bulbs. A person may be exposed to mercury through skin contact, ingestion or inhalation of vapours.

Serious long term health effects may result from lengthy exposure to mercury without the necessary precautions. Unborn babies and infants are considered to be at an increased risk, if exposed to mercury. Health effects may include damage to the central nervous system, tremors, kidney damage or damage to the reporductive system.

PCB's are organic chlorine compounds that are often used as insulator's in electrical equipment such as wiring, capacitors and transformers. The use of PCB's was prohitbited in 1975 and the storage, handling and disposal of PCB's is both provincially and federally regulated.

PCB's are likely carcinogenic to humans and can cause a wide range of adverse health effects, such as liver damage, respiratory disorders, skin discolouration, thyroid gland disorders and reproductive problems.

Asbestos is said to describe a group of naturally occurring fibrous mineral silicates. It is not uncommon to find asbestos in structures built between the 1950's and the late 1980's. Asbestos was used as insulation, fire protection or added to cement and plaster materials to increase structural strength. Fine, light asbestos fibres may remain suspended in the air for long periods of time if disturbed. There is little risk of fibre release if asbestos-containing materials are in good condition and not disturbed. However, asbestos becomes a hazard if it is in poor condition, handled, sanded, drilled, broken up or crumbled. This causes the release of fine, light asbestos-contaminated air poses serious long term health effects, such as lung disease and cancer.

All that is required for fungal and bacterial growth is moisture or organic materials and people are exposed to thousands of microscopic mold spores every day. Problems are likely to arise when there is signiicant mould growth in an enclosed space with poor ventilation and a person is exposed to extremely high concentrations of microbial spores.

Exposure of mould primarily occurs throught inhalation. Spores can settle in the eyes, nose or lungs, potentially causing irritation or serious illness. There are hundreds of thousands of mould species, some of which are infectious, or pathogenic, while others are toxigenic agents that produce chemical by-products which may have adverse health effects. Individuals with allergies, asthma or a weak immune system are particularly vulnerable to mould related illness.

Fungal spores may not be carcinogenic, but with potential health effects like fever, asthma, nausea or sinusitis, it is very important to hire qualified professionals to clean up mould and ensure that the building is inhabitable, safe and everyone is protected from fungal exposure.

Lead is a toxic metal and can enter the body as dust or fumes and affects nearly every system in the body. Lead was a common component of surface coating materials, such as paint or surface coatings. Lead enters the body through inhalation or ingestion, circulates throught the body and is stored in the body's tissues and bones. Everyone is exposed to a certain amount of lead during their day-to-day activities, and your body can naturally remove lead over time, however if some lead enters the body quicker than it can be removed serious advers health effects may result. Some of the health problems associated with lead overexposure is kidney failure, exhaustion, reproductive problems and birth defects.

When it comes to biological hazards, such as animal waste, the most serious health risks arise from the organisms that can grow in the nutrient-rich waste produced by large populations of birds, rodents or bats. Bacterial and fungal spores can flourish in soil enriched by animal or bird droppings. Inhalation of these spores may present health risks to individuals, such as hantavirus, ticks, mites parasites or histoplasmosis.

Hantavirus is caused by a virus found in some field rodents, especially deer mice. The virus is rarely transmitted, but when it is, it can cause severe illness, even death. People can contract hantavirus when they inhale the virus found in the urine, saliva or doppings of infected rodents. If infected people typically show flu-like symtoms and present with severe pneumonia within a few days.

Histoplasmosis is a disease caused by a fungus that is usually associated with large deposits of bird or bat droppings. A person may suffer a lung infection after inhaling airbourne fungal spores. Not everyone that inhales the spores gets sick, but the symptoms of histoplasmosis are similar to pneumonia and if left untreated the condition may become serious.

Contact Us

Napp Enterprises Ltd.

Head Office
12160 Beaverly RD East
Prince George
V2N 6L5
PH: 250-964-0007
Fax: 250-964-0009

Southern Interior
Kelowna, BC
V2N 6L5
PH: 250-717-5629
Fax: 250-717-5496

Lower Mainland
PH: 604-793-9421
Fax: 250-793-9419

© Copyright 2009-2017 Napp Enterprises Ltd. All Rights Reserved.